Saturday, December 5, 2009

The Year is Over

With last night’s banquet the year is finally over. I hesitate to re-hash my already stated complaints:
  • Television ratings are down.
  • Fans are conspicuously absent from the tracks (and it’s not the recession).
  • Jimmie Johnson won the championship again and many of us (including me) question its legitimacy.

Despite all my complaints I continue to watch every race. Although I enjoy them, the races many times are not what they used to be. NASCAR can do much to make the whole series and each race better:

  • Modify the points system and eliminate the Chase. The best idea I’ve heard is to heavily weight podium (top three) finishes. Also, eliminate points for, say, 31st on back.
  • Influence the television networks to focus on racing rather than blather. Do we really need 11 (count them) on-air personalities vying for the microphone?
  • Make the cars look like race cars with more manufacturer identity.
  • Eliminate the “Lucky Dog” and the “wave around”. It’s a race – not a show.
  • Find a way to get rid of the restrictor plates at Daytona and Talladega. What we saw at Talladega is not racing and is very dangerous.
  • Try a little harder to hold qualifying rather than setting the field by points.

I will credit NASCAR with one change this year and one change planned for 2010:

  • The double file restarts are a good thing. I had my doubts, but other than the “wave around”, they added something.
  • The plan to have more races start at the same time (early afternoon) next year is a good one.

Let’s hope that 2010 is a good season.

No comments:

Post a Comment