Tuesday, April 21, 2009

NASCAR Lucky Dog Rule


I've been concerned about the "Lucky Dog" rule since its inception.

I understand why NASCAR felt the need to change what was happening when the caution flag flew. Cars a lap down who were in sight of the leader would try desperately to get their lap back, and the leader usually obliged them by slowing down and letting them pass before they reached the start/finish line. Though nothing serious ever happened, NASCAR was justifiably worried that there would be a monumental wreck caused by an over zealous driver trying to get to the leader before he took the yellow flag. I remember one particularly scary incident where a car was sitting wrecked and stalled just short of the start/finish line. No contact was made, but NASCAR felt compelled to act.

But, what NASCAR came up with, is not right from a fan's perspective. It is contrived. It is controlling a show rather than administering a race. How many times have we seen the winner of the "Lucky Dog" half a lap behind the leader! Is it correct to allow that driver to be given his lap back? It's too much of a gift.

As much as I hate to allow NASCAR to make judgement calls this is a place where it is necessary. NASCAR has to change the rule to allow the "Lucky Dog" to regain a lap only if he is "in contact" with the leader. Doesn't that seem a little more fair? Under the old method a car a half a lap down never made up that distance before the leader made it to the start/finish line.

Can I define "in contact"? No, I can't. I suggest NASCAR have "race referees" make that call. I'll expand on my idea of "race referees" in a future blog, but I've long believed that NASCAR needs more objectivity in the making of judgement calls. To me "in contact" might be thought of as realistically able to pass the leader under the old rule.

Some may argue that this concept prevents popular teams from staying "in" the race. Yes it does. One pit mistake or one bad adjustment puts a team a lap down and they may not be able to make it up. Isn't that what racing is all about? Mistakes and bad breaks have to be endured. I rather have a race than a contrived show.

No comments:

Post a Comment